|Mr D Block||Head of Faculty for Performance & Creative Arts
Curriculum Area Leader for PE
|Mr B Sheehan||Assistant Curriculum Area Leader for PE
Progress Leader Year 11
|Miss G Smith||Assistant Principal||GS@selbyhigh.co.uk|
|Miss S Johnson||Director for Student Progress||SJ@selbyhigh.co.uk|
|Miss L Holt||Teacher of PE & Progress Leader for Year 9 and 10||LH@selbyhigh.co.uk|
|Miss J Strain||Teacher of PE||JST@selbyhigh.co.uk|
|Mr S Morton||Teacher of PE||SMO@selbyhigh.co.uk|
|Mr J Thorpe||Teacher of PE||JTH@selbyhigh.co.uk|
Physical Education at Selby High is built on the foundations of enjoyment, learning, participation and success. As a result, there is both breadth and depth to the curriculum which incorporates increasing pupil choice and opportunity from year 9 to 11. The PE department’s aims closely tie in with the whole school aims.
1. For all pupils to understand that opportunity, combined with effort, can lead to success and achievement.
2. For pupils to achieve their full physical potential and enjoy their sport in a safe and positive environment.
3. For pupils to develop effective skills to allow them to work with others, develop their teamwork and lead through sport
4. To ensure pupils develop their understanding of maintaining a physically and mentally healthy lifestyle.
5. To develop competitive, but fair, sports people who show responsibility, empathy and respect, at all times.
KS3 & KS4 Core
Please see the curriculum overviews below.
Exam Courses available in year 9-11
GCSE PE – following the OCR GCSE PE syllabus (3 year course)
OCR Cambridge Nationals Sports Science (3 year course & 1 Year intensive Course- Yr 9)
OCR Cambridge National Sport Science (3Year Course)
Extra Curricular Activities, visits and trips
- All pupils have the opportunity to take part in extra-curricular sports & activities which take place after school & at lunchtimes. These change on a half termly basis.
- Fixtures are played against other schools in netball, football (boys & girls), hockey, rugby, Handball, badminton. Additionally, we also take part in athletics, cross country & orienteering competitions.
- Everyone is welcome to get involved whether it’s just for fun or to play for a team!
- Year 9 Pupils as part of their enrichment programme can take part in a cycle maintenance programme and develop their leadership skills through the Sports Leaders award.
PE Core Curriculum Overview
GCSE PE Curriculum Overview
Sports Science Curriculum Overview
Sports Studies Curriculum Overview